Ophcrack is a free Windows password cracker based on rainbow tables. It is a very efficient implementation of rainbow tables done by the inventors of the method. It comes with a Graphical User Interface and runs on multiple platforms. Unlike dictionary and brute-force atacks, rainbow attacks cannot be used to crack password hashes of unlimited length.
The ophcrack LiveCD contains a full linux system (SLAX), ophcrack for linux and rainbow tables for alphanumerical passwords.
The liveCD cracks passwords automatically, no installation necessary, no admin password necessary (as long as you can boot from CD). Release 1.1.4 cracks Windows Vista SAM.
It allows for testing the strength of passwords on a Windows machine without having to install anything on it. Just put it into the CD-ROM drive, reboot and it will try to find a Windows partition, extract its SAM and start auditing the passwords.
- » Runs on Windows, Linux/Unix, Mac OS X, …
- » Cracks LM and NTLM hashes.
- » Free tables available for Windows XP and Vista.
- » Brute-force module for simple passwords.
- » LiveCD available to simplify the cracking.
- » Loads hashes from encrypted SAM recovered from a Windows partition, Vista included.
- » Free and open source software (GPL).
Screenshots(click to enlarge):