Posts tagged Ubuntu
I decided to download the release candidate of Ubuntu 8.10 and I found it’s pretty much like ubuntu 8.04 with more features added. But I’m still pretty interested with this new release of Ubuntu RC. I just gonna give a tour and simple introduction to the reader, just to know more what’s inside Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu 8.10 .
· Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3
· OpenOffice.org 2.4.1
· The GIMP 2.6.1
· F-Spot 0.5.0.3
· Pidgin 2.5.1
· Brasero 0.8.2
· Transmission 1.34
· Rhythmbox 0.11.6
· Ekiga 2.0.12
· Evolution 2.24.1
· Nautilus 2.24.1
· Vinagre 2.24.0
· X.Org 7.4 and X.Org Server 1.5.2 (with automatic configuration for keyboard and mouse)
· Network Manager 0.7 (with 3G wireless support)
· Apache 2.2
· PostgreSQL 8.3
· PHP 5.2.6
· LTSP 5.1
· GCC 4.3.2
· glibc 2.8
· Python 2.5
I’m pretty impressed with the system mount archived in Ubuntu 8.10 , with a simple right click on the archive, you can select the “Open with ‘Archive Mounter’” option and you can peek a couple of files without extracting a files .
I also found at the Kubuntu website, KDE 4 finally added inside Kubuntu 8.10 . That’s cool! Kubuntu use the Oxygen theme and icon as a default theme.
For the Intrepid Ibex, Ubuntu dev team has prepared more unbelievable features and they promised us a better wireless wireless connections just like what Mark Shuttleworth said:“We want you to be able to move from the office, to the train, and home, staying connected all the way” .
GPicView use a small memory usage. I hope people will like this software.
The installation: GPicView or simply type sudo apt-get install gpicview .
About Office 2007
Office 2007 is the latest release of microsoft office for windows. It has a lot of features like ribbon interfaces that enabled users quickly can find the menu that they wants. And formerly known as Office “12″ in the initial stages of its beta cycle, it was released to volume license customers on November 30, 2006 and made available to retail customers on January 30, 2007. These are, respectively, the same dates Windows Vista was released to volume licensing and retail customers.
But, what people know is, microsoft office 2007 CAN’T BE INSTALLED IN LINUX . Well, I finally found some useful method to install office 2007 in linux/ubuntu.
Well, this installation is using wine 1.0 with windows version that emulated is windows xp.
1. Before the installation, make sure you ALREADY HAD CROSSOVER GAMES. CrossOver Games enabled you to install office 2007 inside your linux/mac!
2. After CrossOver Games already installed, go to ~/cxgames/lib/wine and copy the rpcrt4.dll.so to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 you will need to re-name the pointer rpcrt4.dll that is currently in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32 to *.bak and then re-name the rpcrt4.dll.so to rpcrt4.dll .
3. While your already in /system32 re-name the msxml3.dll also to *.bak
4. the next thing to do is run winecfg again and set msxml3.dll and rpcrt4.dll to “native windows” select save and exit.
5. DOWNLOAD AND INSTALL Microsoft XML Parser (MSXML)
after the download cd to the directory where you saved it and run.
$ msiexec /i msxml3.msi
6. MOUNT your office 2007 DVD with the option -o unhide. This method will avoid having problems with the hidden files during installation.
Mount and cd to your disk and start the install.
mount -t iso9660 -o unhide /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom0
Jo@Ubuntu:~$ cd /media/cdrom0
Jo@Ubuntu:/media/cdrom0$ wine setup.exe
Some Problem with this office 2007 linux:
1. There must be some unsolved bugs in here.
2. If you are not have any crossover games, it’s probably a good time to become a customer or, the other way is download the crossover torrent(I warn you, it’s illegal!). But here is some tricks not to use the crossover, manual installation by using TRiX to install native DCOM and MS XML, instead of using built in DLL’s from
crossover. It will saves you from buying it!
3. Currently Outlook does not run; however, the next release of Bordeaux will support Outlook
2003 and 2007.
4. To all the Ubuntu users trying to get this to work: Ubuntu has Wine 1.0.0 in it’s repositories at the moment. By downloading the latest Wine you can install Office 2007 with default settings (You don’t have to mess with the dll:s).
Download the latest Wine as described here.
Install Office 2007 with Wine (Don’t mess with the dll:s).
If you want to use Powerpoint,
then you have to set riched20.dll to native-then-builtin (Messing with the dll:s) as described
here. You don’t have to download anything, just set the dll to native-then-built in.
Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex is still under development now and scheduled will be released in 30 oct 2008. You can spread a simple banner from ubuntu with this code.